Place Your Search!
Health benefits of kids in rhythm
- Drumming is an excellent way for children to learn self-awareness, listening skills, coordination of breath and movement, cooperation and patience. It’s a very healthy way for them to develop.
- It is also a valuable channel for intense emotions and teaches containment of strong feelings and impulses that would otherwise become disruptive and destructive. For example if children have low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, defiant behavior, learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder or simply an abundance of energy, drumming therapy can be a valuable aid to learning and growth.
- Drumming is also a wonderfully successful approach to working with kids who have trouble focusing and connecting with others in a satisfying way. Often, these kids have had so much failure in their lives that they come to identify themselves as being "no good." A cycle of negative self-reinforcement occurs, often resulting in low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, anger problems and acting out.
- The personal power awakened by drumming helps to rebuild a sense of efficacy and self worth.
- The repetitive rhythm has a physiologically calming effect.
- It also builds valuable skills for processing and communicating information, and containing or channeling intense emotions and impulses.
Assistance with coping skills
- Ability to focus inward as well as outward
- Develop self-awareness and self-esteem
- Mastery of breath and movement
- Ability to stay "on task"
- Improve listening skills
- Increase Frustration Tolerance
- Channel aggressive/destructive impulses into creative and positive activity
- Develop self-control, patience and cooperation