When a team works together day in and day out, it can be a great idea to get out of the office and do a bit of team building. There are plenty of reasons that you would do a team building workshop, day, or week. You could be rewarding them for a job well done, or hoping that this will help to bond your team and make them more productive.
Drumming is a fantastic option for teams of all sizes and needs. When you look at the qualities that make up a great team, it will become obvious how rhythm can help to take your team to the next level.
- Trust - A team that trusts one another is creating a workplace where things run smoothly. It's important to not only be trusting, but to be trustworthy. A lack of trust can create rifts in communication, misunderstanding, and ultimately affect productivity.
- Playing rhythm together creates a space where your team members are being vulnerable to one another, especially if they have not done any drumming before. Sharing in a space where they are not working can also help team members to trust one another on a more interpersonal level away from titles, power dynamics, and career skills.
- Emotional Intelligence Effective teams possess not only technical skills, but also emotional intelligence. In fact, studies have shown that emotional intelligence is more important than the IQ of each team member. It turns out that if individuals are socially aware, the whole group puts in better quality work. (http://bit.ly/1vIZvsw)
- After a short amount of time in a drum circle or body percussion group, even the most inexperienced drummer can play in sync with the rest of the team. Part of being in a drum circle is looking at the others within the group and reading their facial expressions. Eye contact is common, and lots of smiles. This fosters a feeling of unity and fun, and teams that have fun together are often much more cohesive and productive.
- Common GoalsTeam members need to have common goals and shared ambitions in order to be as efficient as possible. A series of studies on military tactical teams has shown that efficient group work depends on how team members apply a shared understanding of the task. Scientists call this a shared mental model. This is what allows team members to anticipate what is needed to complete a task and what are the actions of other team members. Imagine an emergency response team to get a better picture of this. Team members choose their actions without explicit demands made for coordination, because they are able to anticipate both what other team members are going to do, and what the task requires. It's like watching a great choreography, and it's because team members have a shared understanding of what the outcome needs to be. (http://bit.ly/1vIZvsw)
- Drumming ties people into a very basic part of themselves; it has been shown to regulate the heartbeat, slow the mind down to lower anxiety, and allow people to move and interact in a very natural and communal way.
- Knows One Another Outside of Work Humans are social beings, and we cannot work like robots. Besides work, we also like to talk about our hobbies, families, partners, kids, holidays, personal goals, etc. Making an effort to know your team members goes a long way in helping a team gel together. (http://bit.ly/1J8FnYE)
- Having a drumming day, week, or hour will get your team not only out of their work mindset, but out of their everyday mindset. It gets them working together in a creative way, and helps to form bonds of familiarity and genuine positivity that will filter through into the work environment.
Rhythm is a part of our make-up; everyone has rhythm and everyone can benefit from it. The rhythms and formulas we use are unique & highly accessible, even to the beginner drummer. Some of the many benefits of InRhythm group drumming include;
- A Boost in Energy
- Releases Stored Tension
- Builds Community and Motivates your Team
- Transcends Unhealthy Competition
- Reduces Patterns of Anxiety & Depression
- Improves Social Interaction
- Explores Positive Leadership
- Teaches the Power of Mindfulness & Meditation
- Unveils our Natural Wellbeing and Joy
- Increases Confidence
- Promotes Creative Expression
- Creates a Safe Space to Explore Team Building & Group Harmony
- Develops Healthy & Happy Attitudes
- Helps make life FUN!
Find out how to book your Team Building Workshop at http://www.inrhythm.com.au/corporate-drumming/team-building-drumming
Use our ENQUIRY FORM or call us on 1300 55 40 35
We look forward to hearing from you.
Tim Orgias | InRhythm